Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spanish Life, Barcelona Tourist Edition

LOCATION:

Barcelona, Spain

 

Most of my time as a Barcelona tourist was spent hunting down Gaudi work and simply enjoying the sun, but I did manage to check out other parts of the city. One of the main pedestrian streets is La Rambla, and it leads down to the ocean. It is really crowded with tourists, performers, and vendors of all kinds, but also is home to one of the coolest open air markets I have ever been to - La Boqueria.

The market entrance.

 

Beautiful fruit everywhere, and so cheap!

 

Mmmmmm. Meat and cheese.

 

Yummy chocolates and candies!

 

At the end of La Rambla, just before the harbor, is a monument honoring Christopher Columbus. He can be seen pointing at the top - but not towards America! He is pointing out towards the ocean though which I suppose makes sense, even though Erin said there are some controversial theories around which way he is pointing and why!

Sort of cool, in the clouds.

 

The harbor turned out to be one of my favorite spots in Barcelona. It was such a great place to sit and people watch, listen to performers, and just relax and enjoy the sunshine.

This band was pretty good!

 

Another great band, though not by the ocean. We even bought their CD!

 

The apartment Erin, Joe and Jen lived in was in a great neighborhood - walking distance to everything, and right down the street from the Palau de la Musica - a really ornate concert hall. I didn't get a picture of it, but we did get coffee there on our last morning in Barcelona, and I brought a postcard I was mailing - which turned out to be maybe my favorite picture of the trip so far because it looks so fake!

Coffee with the Queen of England!

 

I am not sure what my favorite part about Barcelona was - the color, the relaxed vibe, the food and drink, or the access to other cool Spanish cities. Definitely adding to the fun though was spending time with Erin, Joe and Jen who were great tour guides, having lived in the city for a few months by the time I got there. We packed up early this morning though, and Erin said goodbye to the place she called home for her final semester of business school. Off to Copenhagen now, to start the month-long rail pass adventure!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment