Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spanish Life, Gaudi Edition

LOCATION:

Barcelona, Spain

 

I know it seems like I haven't spent much time in Barcelona, but I have, really! My first day exploring the city was a self-led Gaudi tour. The main attraction, naturally, was La Sagrada Familia. It is considered by many to be Gaudi's final masterpiece - he spent forty years working on it before he died. Construction began in 1882 and (as seen by cranes and scaffolding everywhere!) is still going. Current estimates have it being completed in 2020, but who knows. I visited Sagrada Familia the last time I was in Barcelona but the inside of the cathedral was not open to visitors then, so going inside on this visit was really something special. Gaudi himself only completed the crypt and the nativity facade - the rest of the cathedral is being constructed based on interpretations of his plans.

One of the facades, I remember cranes from 12 years ago!

 

A depiction of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus on the Passion Facade.
 
Strikingly different from the Nativity Facade on the other side of the cathedral.
Strikingly different from the Nativity Facade on the other side of the cathedral.

 

I climbed the nativity tower and was rewarded with stunning views of Barcelona!

 

The inside of the cathedral is just as striking as the outside, if not more so. The columns in the main cathedral interior are designed to resemble trees reaching to heaven. Because it is so new everything is pristine and white, which definitely adds to the spiritual feel. One of the other things I particularly enjoyed was seeing the semi-completed stained glass windows. Those already in place cast a rainbow of color onto the otherwise stark interior, which was a cool juxtaposition next to the windows yet to be filled in.

Gaudi's Forrest-like vision comes to life.

 

Looking up at the ceiling.
 
Some stained complete, some yet to go.

After leaving sagrada familia, my Gaudi tour continued and I didn't have to walk far to see his work elsewhere in the city. La Pedrera is dull in color compared to his other buildings, but is still very interesting, especially the funky balconies. Just a few steps down the street was another Gaudi building, Casa Batilo.

La Pedrera.
 
Casa Batilo, much brighter.
 
These balconies remind me of the ocean for some reason!

 

There are many more Gaudi buildings in Barcelona, but my final stop on the tour was the Park Guell, at the top of a large hill overlooking the city. The park is full of colorful mosaics and whimsical curves, and feels to me like a real-life version of candy land. While I was grateful for all the sunshine during my visit, it did make for a very crowded park. I only stayed for a few minutes, but found it impossible not to smile when looking at all the bright tiles.

The curvy benches surrounded the park, and all had beautiful mosaics.

 

Lots of swirls and bright tiles.

 

The ceiling of a covered area was very similar to the ceiling of Sagrada Familia.
 
This lizard greets everyone at one park entrance.

 

Gaudi influences can be seen everywhere in Barcelona, and I think certainly contributes to the overall fun and colorful vibe of the city!

 

 

1 comment: